Hawks Hired! Marissa Kottage ’20

In May of 2020, Marissa graduated summa cum laude from Roger Williams University with a double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice and a minor in Spanish. The knowledge she gained through experiences and coursework has helped crystallize her goal to become a psychologist and pursue a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at the University of Hartford.

Throughout her time in college, Marissa was eager to explore and expand her cultural competencies. This quest led to an influential experience studying abroad in Spain. Here, she was exposed to a variety of environments and cultures that will aid in her work with diverse communities. Marissa was involved in the campus community serving as a Research Peer Mentor providing student-to-student research consultations. This role cultivated her interest in behavioral research. She is grateful for her professors and peers who encouraged her to ask questions and further learn about human cognitive, physiological, and social-emotional processes.

Marissa’s experience within the field came through internships with State and Federal Probation and Child and Family Services. Across these placements, she worked with adults, adolescents, and families and began to develop a more comprehensive understanding of the obstacles involved in working with at-risk populations. In her current role as a Mental Health Worker at Boys and Girls Village, Marissa provides direct care and supervision utilizing facets of cognitive-behavioral and dialectical behavioral therapy for the treatment of adolescents involved in the juvenile system.

Marissa quotes, “In retrospect, RWU offered exactly what I needed to begin my career as a psychologist. My undergraduate years built a solid framework in the fields of Psychology and Criminal Justice, thus allowing me entrance into Psi Chi and Alpha Phi Sigma Honor Societies. I learned complex psychological concepts and had numerous opportunities to practice basic therapeutic interventions through experiential learning. My mentors and friends will undoubtedly continue with me in my journey to become a clinical forensic psychologist.”

We are so proud of Marissa and the amazing accomplishments she has made thus far and the advancements she will make in the field of psychology in the future!

By Mary Santoro
Mary Santoro Director of Career Services