Internship Spotlight: Connor Maguire & Daniel O’Connell’s Sons

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? This summer I was a Field Engineer Intern at Daniel O’Connell’s Sons.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? I was interested in this internship because I wanted to explore what it was like to really work as a construction manager.

How did you find your internship? I was able to find this opportunity by attending the Career Fair at Roger Williams University.

What did you do as part of your internship? During my internship, I was working with a Superintendent who was managing a conversion of an old warehouse that was being developed into an office space. During this experience, I was working with CAD and Bluebeam to get dimensions for layouts in the field.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how?  This internship solidified my interests and showed me I am on the right path for my future career. I was offered to come back next summer for the same company.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? The biggest lesson I took from this internship program was being able to take drawings and email instructions from an architect and communicate effectively to various workers from multiple different trades what they need to do.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? I would say just apply yourself in it and really try and learn anything you can. Don’t be afraid of asking questions and since you will probably be the youngest person on-site you may have to prove yourself more than others. Show them what you know and they will trust what you say.

By Mary Santoro
Mary Santoro Director of Career Services