Internship Spotlight: Jordan St.Onge & The Rhode Island General’s Office Victim Services Unit

During the 2022 Summer Intersession, rising senior Jordan St.Onge completed an internship with The Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office in the Victim Services Unit. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? My internship was with The Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office in the Victim Services Unit

Why were you initially interested in this internship? This internship initially interested me because I heard of the hands-on experience the RI Attorney General’s Office had to offer. I really wanted to be in an environment where the work I was doing was important.

What did you do as part of your internship? I worked with victims of all capital offenses. I helped offer resources, prepare them for testimony, support them through the court process, and be an advocate for them and their situation. I also did a lot of victim outreach which involved sending out letters to collect victim impact statements. This information was pivotal for the prosecution to have especially when sentencing was still being decided by the judge. Lastly, I worked on a pilot project which involved creating an entirely new system in an effort to get victim advocates for victims in misdemeanor cases. Currently, only victims in capital cases receive a victim advocate to support them through the court process. This project aimed to get advocates for victims of misdemeanor cases as well.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? This internship gave me real-life experience in the courtroom and with actual clients. As an aspiring lawyer, I was able to also network with people who used to be in my exact shoes. They offered me so much advice and guidance on my journey to becoming a lawyer.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? My biggest takeaway from this internship was the clarity this work gave me. I have always known I wanted to be a lawyer, but I never knew what part of the law I was truly interested in. This internship helped narrow the scope of my areas of interest. I loved the work I was doing and I really think I found my passion through this internship and where I should focus while looking into law schools.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity?  I would say it is hard work but it is worth it. There are some days when the work you are doing is hard to witness, but the lives you are able to help makes the work that much more rewarding.

By Mary Santoro
Mary Santoro Director of Career Services