Internship Spotlight: Olivia Santoro & Rhode Island Transition Academy

During the 2022 Fall Semester, junior Olivia Santoro began an internship with the Rhode Island Transition Academy. Read on to learn about her experience so far!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship?  I am interning with the Rhode Island Transition Academy (RITA).

Why were you initially interested in this internship? I enjoy working with young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and helping them live a more independent and social life.

How did you find your internship? Last year, RWU Started a Best Buddies chapter on campus. Best Buddies is an organization that creates friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities. We collaborated with students in the RITA and planned events and activities.  After many positive experiences with RITA through Best Buddies, I reached out to the director about a possible internship and now I am here!

What did you do as part of your internship? I teach lessons, organize activities, help students with their work sites, and help them integrate into the RWU community.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? This internship has definitely helped me work towards my future career goals. I feel prepared to work with others and provide students with disabilities the support they need to thrive independently.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? My biggest takeaway from this internship was watching RITA students become more independent and confident in themselves.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? My advice is to get involved, follow your passion, and connect with people in your field, because that is the beginning point for networking and opportunity.

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor