Internship Spotlight: Kate Tenney & City of Quincy

Kate Tenney, a senior majoring in Public Health at RWU, recently completed an internship with the City of Quincy Department of Planning & Community Development. Kate connected with the CCPD to talk about her experience at this internship site – read on to learn more!

Why were you initially interested in this internship?

KT: This internship first stuck out to me because it dealt with the topic of healthy homes. In my past semester at Roger Williams I was in a class that discussed different areas of public health and we talked greatly about homelessness and obtaining a healthy home as a public health issue. When I saw the description for this internship, it intrigued me that I would be working with different programs that provided financial help for obtaining a healthy home. I knew this internship could be for me.

How did you find your internship?

KT: I found this internship through a mutual connection. She reached out to me and identified an open position, I sent in my resume and spoke to the supervisor!

CCPD Note: As Kate demonstrated here, networking is one of the most effective ways to find a job or internship opportunity! Check out the CCPD Networking Guide for more information about how to expand your connections and make the most of your existing network.

What did you do in this internship?

KT: In this internship, I had an ongoing task of creating a spotlight newsletter discussing the reviews and comments of past participants about the City of Quincy’s programs! I have a minor in public & professional writing, so it was awesome to combine both my major and minor when creating this newsletter. Other tasks included adding and removing items from the department website and researching other healthy homes programs. I also attended weekly meetings where staff members discussed participants in the programs.

Has this internship helped you work toward your future career goals?

KT: This internship helped me understand and see what it is like to work in a Healthy Homes office. It also helped me make connections with other professionals in the City of Quincy Health Department.

What was your biggest takeaway from the internship?

KT: This internship gave me a new understanding and knowledge of public health. It also taught me to take initiative and be engaged, and not be afraid to ask questions if I don’t understand what is assigned to me.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity?

KT: I would say to stay curious and open to learning new pieces of information. Even if it is not in your field of study, you could learn truly valuable skills through others in your internship.

Congratulations Kate on an awesome internship experience! We are proud to have you representing RWU in the workforce.

Ready to start your own internship or job search? Make an appointment with a Career Advisor today!

Got a cool internship story or research experience you’d like to share? Fill out this form to be featured in a future internship spotlight!

By Molly Williams
Molly Williams Career Advisor