Internship Spotlight: Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center

Senior, Jordan Raleigh completed an internship with the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center in the Kent County Courthouse in Warwick, Rhode Island. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? I interned with the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center in the Kent County Courthouse located in Warwick, Rhode Island.

Why were you initially interested in this internship?   I was initially interested in this internship because of the hands-on experience in a courthouse, while also establishing connections with clients in order to gain their trust in the legal system.

How did you find your internship?  I found my internship through a posting on Handshake.

What did you do as part of your internship? In the court advocacy program, I primarily assisted domestic violence and sexual assault victims with filing temporary restraining orders as well as answered hotline phone calls.  I also had the opportunity to sit through court proceedings a few times and work one on one with victims.  The Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center also offers many different services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault such as counseling and relocation, which I was able to learn about and offer to clients.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? This internship has helped me work toward my future career goals because I have broadened my knowledge and understanding of the overall court system as well as experienced a type of law that I had not explored thus far in my education.  I had the opportunity to work with clients in person and guide them through court procedures.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship?  The biggest takeaway that I have learned from this internship is that you are going to make mistakes, you are going to become frustrated at times with the people you meet, and disappointed with the outcome of your work.  What is most important is that you leave knowing that you did all that you could to help the clients.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity?  The advice I would give to someone who is interested in a similar internship opportunity is to learn all that you can.  Make connections with everyone you meet inside and outside of the courtroom.  Building your network is very important in this type of field. I have met many different attorneys during my internship that understood the place that I was in. They were very friendly and willing to discuss their roles with me, as they were once in my position.

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor