Internship Spotlight: HGL Media

Senior, Leah Yucius completed an internship with HGL Media located in Swansea, Massachusetts. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? I was a multimedia coordinator for HGL Media.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? This internship with HGL offered me the opportunity to learn and develop a variety of new skills in digital and creative marketing. As a graphic design minor, I thought it would also be a great opportunity to work with new platforms and expand upon my skillset. HGL works with clients in the home and sports industries, so it would allow me to work with topics I was interested in as well. I thought it was a great fit.

How did you find your internship? Professor Matos passed on this internship opportunity from a former student of his who was still working with the company.

What did you do as part of your internship? I worked primarily with client’s social media and web pages, marketing products and services through Instagram, Facebook, and blog posts. I prepared many blogs for posting on our client’s websites, creating, editing, and search engine optimizing them.  Engaging viewers and increasing website traffic through social media and SEO were my top priorities throughout this internship.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? This internship helped me gain experience and expand upon skills with different content marketing strategies. I’ve learned so much about content marketing in my four years here, but creating and producing the content, seeing firsthand what’s successful and not successful, is something you don’t necessarily get in the classroom. I think this internship made me realize that I am most interested in pursuing a career in the creative side of marketing.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? I think my biggest takeaway from this experience was not only gaining skills to help me in my future career, but also improving upon the skills that benefit you in life. Balancing a full course load, playing on the soccer team, and working for HGL, made time management a priority this past fall. There will be times where there’s a lot going on in life, and I think time management and the confidence that you can handle it, is essential.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? I would say that getting any new job or internship can be intimidating but it’s important to remember that any new experience is an opportunity to learn. Work hard, ask questions if needed, and you will learn.

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor