Internship Spotlight: Francesca Buono ’24

Rising Senior, Francesca Buono completed an internship during the Spring 2023 semester with the Providence Sports & Entertainment Industry of the Providence Bruins as a Game Day Sales and Event Coordinator. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship?  I was a Game Day Sales and Event Coordinator for Providence Sports & Entertainment Industry of the Providence Bruins.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? This internship with PSE Agency allowed me to learn and develop various skills in sports management, event planning, marketing, and communication. As a communications and media studies major, I thought working with people in the sports and entertainment industry would also be a great opportunity. Additionally, prior to attending RWU, I had the opportunity to attend a 2-week sports management pre-college summer program at Dean College in Franklin, MA. I got a behind-the-scenes look at how different sports teams run their business, anywhere from communications, ticket sales, security, refreshments, and event preparation. Additionally, I am a huge hockey fan and have been going to hockey games with my family and friends. The program also included a concentration on Esports as well as attending sports lectures by experts in the field of sports management. My favorite part of that experience was going off-campus to tour different sports venues, such as Gillette Stadium, McCoy Stadium, & the Amica Mutual Pavilion.

How did you find your internship? I found this internship through Mary Santoro, the Associate Director of Career Services here at RWU. I met her when she did a lecture on using LinkedIn last year in my Business Enterprise class.

What did you do as part of your internship? I worked directly during the game days with senior sales staff, in which we performed event coordination for larger parties and gatherings. From preparation to execution, both the senior sales staff and all the other game day staff were responsible for assisting in managing operations of youth hockey exhibitions (working with tech and playing music for youth hockey games), the service of season ticket holders, and both the scoring and statistics for the AHL. Additionally, I had the opportunity to go into the office on weekdays to develop flyers for Providence Bruins events as well as write youth hockey game reports for the senior sales staff. One of my favorite parts about this experience was taking the mascot around to the Guest Suites during intermission and games.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? During this internship, I gained experience in all areas of communication and media, as well as developing various skills. My communication skills have been improved because of this work experience. Due to the skills, I acquired from communication and media classes, I have been successful in my career. Since my internship, I have been able to improve my skills in sports marketing. Having successfully completed my internship, I have decided that sports marketing and event coordination are the things I would like to pursue in the future. Having worked in a team has improved my problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and professionalism.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? While balancing a full course load, being a member of the RWU Dance Team, and working for PSE, time management became a crucial goal. The ability to manage your time and the confidence to handle it is always essential in life. It has been an invaluable experience for me to take it with me, and I’ve grown as an individual.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? In my experience, getting a new job or internship can be intimidating. However, it’s important to remember that such new opportunities present you with the chance to learn. Work hard, ask questions if you need them, and you will benefit from them.

Want to share your experiences during an internship? Email Kevin (kdeeb@rwu.edu) in the CCPD to learn more about sharing with us!

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor