The IT Operations Engineer I role is to support the stable operation of the operational district’s network and end user devices. This includes assisting in planning, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. IT Operations Engineer I’s/ will also diagnose, resolve, and document all hardware, software, and network issues, and provide end user training and support where required.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science or related degree in IT and/or 2+ years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in ITIL preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- Hands-on technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as Ethernet, Token ring, LAN, WAN, frame relay, xDSL, TCP/IP, ATM, T1, 802.11x, and so on.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Active Directory Services, Windows Server OS, Office 365, and VMware
- Some knowledge of network management and analysis tools and Cisco technologies like AMP, Umbrella, NAM, AnyConnect.
- Experience working in a switched and routed environment.
- Hardware, software, and network connection troubleshooting experience.
- Knowledge of anti-virus software, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and other network security measures.
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and data security.
- Construction industry software knowledge in products such as, Autodesk-BIM Modeling, scheduling tools Asta & Oracle P6, Bluebeam PDF, Onscreen Takeoff a plus
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft software including SharePoint, Azure, Exchange, Intune, Teams
- Telephony knowledge of Poly, Crestron, and AMX room AV systems a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with IT staff to create optimal network design topologies and configurations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies for end user devices such as: desktop, laptop and mobile.
- Respond to emergency network outages in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of documentation, procedures, manuals, and checklists, for network installations, including data, voice, and video systems.
Procurement & Deployment
- Support development and implementation of networking projects and new technology initiatives.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend for purchase networking hardware and software products.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of networking contracts and supervise contract-based installations.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, software, networked peripheral devices, cabling, and networking hardware and software products.
- Assist Tier 1 Service Desk to work with end users in escalation of IT issues in the IT ticketing system.
- Maintain servers, security solutions, and all network and hardware equipment.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, SMS, and/or e-mails regarding network connectivity problems.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex network problems for a variety of end users. Recommend and implement corrective hardware and/or software solutions, including off-site repair.
- Maintain proper end user configuration, IT hardware inventory, licensing, and PC/end user onboarding and offboarding of all IT equipment including PC setup, troubleshooting, and security controls.
Hensel Phelps provides generous benefits for our salaried employees. This position is eligible for company paid medical insurance, life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment, long-term disability, 401(K) retirement plan, health savings account (HSA) (HSA not available in Hawaii), and our employee assistance program (EAP). It also is eligible for employee paid enrollment in vision and dental insurance, as well as optional participation in a flexible spending account (FSA). Hensel Phelps also believes in the importance of taking time to recharge. As a result, salaried employees are eligible for paid time off beginning upon hire. Salaried employees are also eligible for a company cell phone or cell phone allowance in accordance with company policy.