Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM we have an amazing opportunity to transform the world with cognitive technology. By using the vast amounts of information available today to identify new patterns and make new discoveries, we are helping cities become smarter, hospitals transform patient care, financial institutions minimize risk, and pharmaceuticals find cures for rare diseases. Join the forward-thinking teams at IBM solving some of the world’s most complex problems – there is no better place to grow your career!
THINK has been IBM’s slogan for over a century and now IBM is looking for a self-motivated individual who will THINK and bring innovation to the technologies being developed by IBM. You will start your journey as a Full Stack Developer Co-Op and will be paired with the User Experience | Research Operations team. The Co-Op opening is for either 6 or 12 months employment (Jan 2021 to Dec 2021).
FULL STACK DEVELOPER CO-OPS:
- Have flexibility to work across architecture – building both front-end and back-end
- Have knowledge of application and web development in HTML and CSS
- Have knowledge of modern frameworks such as Node.js and Angular.js
- Implement server-side or application logic, develop databases, and design architectures
- Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking Methodology
- Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile development methodology
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers
- Employ IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability
- Have an opportunity to work with a variety of relational databases (SQL, Postgres, DB2, MongoDB), and modern UI frameworks (Backbone.js, AngularJS, React, Ember.js, Bootstrap, Node.js, and JQuery)
- Work across the entire system architecture, from backend to front end, to design, develop, and support high quality and scalable products
- Create everything from mockups and UI components to algorithms and data structures as you deliver a complete minimally viable product.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products
- Thrive on collaboration, working side-by-side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues
- You have a basic understanding of software development and programming languages
KEY TECH SKILLS
This role will start ASAP and run from 6-12 months.
Locations for this position are: Austin, TX, Raleigh, NC, or San Jose, CA
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Currently pursuing a college degree in Computer Science or in another closely related degree program.
- Knowledge and/or experience in software development.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Full-stack development experience (using frameworks such as React, AngularJS and NodeJS).
- Experience with Cloud base architecture (for example: IBM Cloud or AWS development).
- Experience with DevOps.
- Exposure to Agile development methodologies.