The internship position at Piccerelli, Gilstein, and Co., LLP (PG&Co) is a paid, part-time, in-person position available to college juniors and seniors who are majoring in accounting. This position offers the a college student the opportunity to supplement his/her academic background with practical experience related to the student’s career interests and eases the transition from college to the business world.
Your role at PG&Co will be very similar to that of a staff accountant. You will be assigned work and guided along under the supervision of an in-charge accountant in order to develop as a professional while performing accounting and tax assignments for an array of clients that are diversified in size and industry. Some of the functions you may perform include:
- Learn and apply technical skills on tax engagements and work co-operatively as part of a team carrying out tasks under supportive coaching and supervision.
- Develop an understanding of client businesses.
- Develop and utilize good communication skills – verbal and written
- Limited participation in communication and interaction with clients.
- Participate in technical discussions relating to client assignments; gather data from a variety of sources.
- Prepare individual income tax returns and less complex business returns.
- Develop a working knowledge of the firm’s services, systems and processes and apply them with support and direction.
- Build a network of peers internally and externally through university/school studies and client work.
An important function of the intern is to become familiar with the way a CPA firm operates. Learning the procedures and policies applied at PG&Co as well as your on-the-job training all contribute to your learning experience in accounting. At times you may be asked to do basic filing, bookkeeping, or administrative work to get you comfortable with the professional environment.