SMMA’s Cambridge office is seeking an Architecture Design Intern to join our team for the 2022 summer term. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. The candidate will be an integral part of active project teams getting hands-on experience and interacting with interns from other disciplines. You will be encouraged and expected to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance the firm’s mission and your professional career.
Key Responsibilities may include:
- Researching precedents and materials investigation serving the development of design concepts
- Visualizing your own or teammate’s ideas through diagramming and spatial renders
- Constructing physical models using laser cutters, 3D printing, or CNC machining
- Assisting in the DD and CD phases coordinating drawings/ specifications and learning through a red-line process.
- Participating and monitoring a project’s construction phase
- Enrollment within an accredited third year of Bachelor’s or Master of Architecture program
- Portfolio or work displaying creative design intuition and thoughtful development of ideas
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills, able to draw ideas quickly and offer critique
- Organizational and time management skills to be able to handle multiple project responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability with digital design, modeling, and visualization tools
- Understands BIM workflows. Revit experience is required
- Related professional work experience is appreciated
- Curious, eager to learn, and proactive
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence. Cross-studio support groups provide expert knowledge to and between project teams regarding sustainable design strategies, innovative digital design workflows, specification coordination, and building science.
- Employee-owned firm
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
A Digital portfolio must be submitted for consideration. Please combine the resume and portfolio on one document or provide a portfolio link.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.