Substance Abuse Counselor
At Wellpath, everything that we do is about taking care of people – our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented, compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to “Always Do The Right Thing!”
The MASAC Substance Abuse Counselor provides direct service care to meet the needs of patients suffering from mental, emotional and substance abuse issues. The position works with the treatment team to fulfill the interdisciplinary treatment process needed for patients with a dual diagnosis; works with treatment team to fulfill Role Recovery needs and Recovery Plan within the standards of the company. The Substance Abuse Counselor is responsible for: 1) assessment of patients; 2) developing, organizing, and conducting program activities to provide education and treatment for issues related to substance abuse; provides group and individualized sessions for patients.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a social services related field preferred
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software used by the department.
- CADC or LADC eligible
- Achievement of CADC or LADC within 1-3 years.
What you will do:
- Substance abuse (SA) Treatment, education, activity development, and implementation: Develops and conducts group and individual SA activities for identified patients.
- CO-DEP (Co-Occurring Disorders Education Program) initial and comprehensive assessments (and reassessments): Assessment and evaluation of patients to determine need for urgent services and level of care.
- Completes necessary records, reports, etc. in a timely manner (same day as patient encounter).
- Continues professional development through in-service education, workshops, conferences and self-study necessary to maintain correct knowledge relevant to the position. Remains in compliance with all Human Resources requirements. Works well with all departments and programs to meet the needs of patients.
- Is sensitive to cultural diversity issues, treats
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of instructions and apply knowledge to different factual situations.
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
- Is knowledgeable about care and treatment needs of patients of different ages.
- Provides individualized care and treatment that is consistent with/sensitive to the age and life span development needs of each patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of risk management, infection control, fire/disaster procedures, de-escalation of crisis intervention, and environmental safety measures.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may call for deviations.patients as an individual, and considers the culture of the patients when providing care and treatment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer