Internship Spotlight: Thomas Pulcini & PwC

During the 2022 Summer Intersession, rising senior Thomas Pulcini completed an internship with Price WaterhouseCoopers as one of their Summer interns. Read on to learn about his experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship like? My internship experience was at PwC, where I got insight into working for a ‘Big 4’ accounting firm, assisting clients with tax returns as well as other activities in collaboration with a team of interns.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? I was interested in this internship primarily because it is required for all accounting majors. When I came to accepted students day, I got to talk to Professor John McQuilkin. He told me many accounting majors at RWU go to a ‘Big 4’ accounting firm. I’m living proof and truly believe RWU’s rapport with the ‘Big 4’ and having that goal of 150 credits played a part in me getting my internship.

How did you find your internship? Honestly, Google! I was behind compared to other accounting majors in November. I did not have an internship lined up for the summer. So I looked up Summer 2022 accounting internships, I found PwC, and applied through their website!

What did you do as part of your internship? As an intern currently, I am in Asset Wealth Management (AWM) Real Estate (RE) Tax. I went through initial onboarding, where I attended webinars with employees at the company, activities with other interns, and hands-on training modules. I work with a team in the real estate sector that I communicate with daily regarding my daily tasks. Currently, my main job is to review and make adjustments to tax returns for our clients.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? This internship has absolutely helped me toward my career goals. I have never had an accounting internship/ job and waited three years for this opportunity. Being able to work at a firm like PwC is everything I could have imagined and more. They truly believe in my development and growth as a future CPA at the company. They go the extra mile to encourage lifetime learning and ensure we have the resources to grow personally and professionally. I can see myself being at PwC for a while after I graduate. IF I get the offer at the end of the internship, fingers crossed.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship?
My biggest takeaway so far is to have initiative but do not be afraid to ask questions. For example, I am working through a state return, and for around an hour, I was working through trying to figure out my problem. After I exhausted my resources, I reached out to a Senior Associate to hop on a Google Meet and work through it with me. She was more than willing and very kind through the process. I also introduced an idea for a potential solution that she told me would not solve the problem.

Additionally, she went into detail explaining why we could not use my idea. I was learning even more at that moment because I introduced an idea. Company’s LOVE initiative and to be a sponge and soak in all the knowledge cannot hurt you.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? My advice would be to not wait until November as I did first off. In all seriousness, companies looking to hire you full-time or for an internship are more interested in you as a person than your academic success. Academics are fantastic. They show you are capable of learning material and applying it. However, the interviewer for me did not ask a single accounting question. Instead, they asked about my experience as an RA. They want to know if you can problem-solve, how you work with a team, and if you can analyze an experience or lesson and take it a step further to reflect on the outcome. They want to know if you can be given the tools and molded into what they are looking for in an employee. Do not be afraid to message people on LinkedIn at a company you are interested in. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Do not try to be someone you are not. Be committed, bring a good attitude, show your passion, and share your ambition and you will be just fine.

By Mary Santoro
Mary Santoro Director of Career Services