Internship Spotlight: Lauren Moulaison ’24 & SMBC

Lauren Moulaison, a senior majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics at RWU, completed an Information Systems internship with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) in Summer 2023. Lauren connected with the CCPD to talk about her experience at this internship site – read on to learn more!

Why were you initially interested in this internship and how did you find it?

LM: It showed up on a list of opportunities that aligned with my interests on Handshake. I was interested in working with tech in a financial capacity, and this was a great fit.

CCPD Note: Lauren found her internship by applying to posted positions. Learn more about internship search strategies on the CCPD Search Strategies Checklist and make an appointment with your advisor for more information! And be sure to keep your Handshake profile up to date to get personalized recommendations like this one.

What did you do in this internship?

LM: During this internship, I did a lot of web development while working with another intern on my team. Together, we created a website and configured a database and server settings, and with some front-end design, we were able to create a banking website. We also used a library that our team hadn’t heard of called Thymeleaf, which allowed us to print data directly from the database onto an HTML website page a lot easier than the methods the team was using. Our website inspired the future work of the team, especially with the use of Thymeleaf and the style elements used, and we were able to deploy our website to the company’s OpenShift!

Has this internship helped you work toward your future career goals?

LM: Yes, it absolutely did! It challenged me to do things that I haven’t learned in the classroom and also gave me very valuable experience of working in an office setting.

What was your biggest takeaway from the internship?

LM: I learned a lot about my interests and work ethic in the office! I learned how much I enjoy web development, even though I thought I would prefer to work with data.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity?

LM: Do it! My time in Manhattan was absolutely amazing. I learned so much in the ten weeks I was there and I met so many amazing people. The experience is unbeatable and there isn’t any college course that even comes close to teaching the things you will learn through an internship!

Congratulations Lauren on an awesome internship experience! We are proud to have you representing RWU in the workforce!

Ready to start your own internship or job search? Make an appointment with a Career Advisor today!

Got a cool internship story you’d like to share? Fill out this form to be featured in a future internship spotlight!

By Molly Williams
Molly Williams Career Advisor