First Gen Internship Spotlight: Christain Barbosa ’24

First-Gen Internship Spotlights offer insights into the experiences of students at RWU as they navigate their unique industries and strive to achieve meaningful employment opportunities in their undergraduate experiences. Check out this First-Gen Internship Spotlight from Christain Barbosa as he provides insights into his internship experience!

Question 1 – What is your name?

Christain Barbosa

Question 2 – What is your major?

Accounting

Question 3 – What is your internship title and employer name?

FSO Launch at EY

Question 4 – Why were you initially interested in this internship?

My Goal was to work at a Big 4 accounting firm, and having this opportunity opened the door and gave me the chance to get that experience and knowledge they have to offer.

Question 5 – How did you find your internship?

I found the internship from Mary, who told me about EY holding interviews at rwu. I didn’t get the position I applied for, but just from that meeting and building a connection, I was able to get offered a different internship position.

Question 6 – What did you do in this internship? Provide examples of tasks, projects, etc. and feel free to brag about any accomplishments you are particularly proud of!

On the tax rotation, I worked with notices, figuring out why our client received the notice, whether it was a late payment, an error in filing taxes, or if the state needed proof of payment. I would look at tax returns, figure out the issue, and send a response to the state. Some states require a power of attorney, so I would fill out the form and send that in as well. On the audit rotation, I prepared and tested internal documents and memos. While attending team meetings as well as lunch and learnings. Worked on analyzing derivatives portfolios to identify materials and used some audit tools to aid the process.

Question 7 – Has this internship helped you work toward your future career goals? If so, how?

This internship has given me a more realistic experience of accounting as it is very different from the classroom. I was able to see how working in an office and working on a team were. It has also opened many doors for me as I was able to work at a BIG 4, which was a great experience.

Question 8 – What was your biggest lesson learned or take away from the internship? (Specifically, from a 1st Gen lens)

You don’t have to be the smartest in the room. You can always grow and work to be better every day. Networking and making connections can benefit you and help you out a lot, as you can also help others in need.

Question 9 – How has your organization supported you as a 1st Gen student? Would you encourage other 1st Gen students to apply and take a similar role as you?

Yes, 100%.

Question 10 – What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity?

Always try your best, have a great work ethic, try to network and meet new people, and lastly, ask questions!

By Callie Flanagan
Callie Flanagan Career Advisor