Hawks Hired! Dom Emmanuel ’23

Hawks Hired highlights the accomplishments of RWU graduates as they finalize the next steps in their career journeys. Dom is currently a Legal Assistant at Lichten & Liss-Riordan P.C. (LLR) Read on to learn more about his next chapter since graduation.

What was your program of study at RWU? I was a Cultural studies major with a minor in legal studies and political science.

Graduation year? May 2023

Where is your next adventure? (Company/School and Role) I am currently working as a Legal Assistant at Lichten & Liss-Riordan P.C. (LLR) while taking a gap year before beginning law school in the fall of 2024.

What are you most looking forward to in this new role? I am most looking forward to increasing my legal knowledge and continuing to learn more as I go. I have already learned so much about filing/drafting legal documents and client communication, so I increase my legal knowledge in this role.

What was the process like of landing this job/next opportunity? I made the decision to take a year off from school right after graduation and I began looking for paralegal/law related jobs in both the Boston and Washington D.C. area. I applied to Lichten & Liss-Riordan P.C. which is a labor and employment law firm in Boston and heard back from them within about a week of applying. The process was relatively fast as they were looking to fill that position quickly due to the competitive search for paralegals in Boston. I did a quick phone interview then a zoom interview in the span of about 4 days before I was offered the position.

Who helped you during your job search/graduate school process? My family was the biggest help to me through that process because I would talk things over with them in terms of what I’m looking for in a firm/organization that I wanted to work in. They always have been my support system, and I am forever grateful for that.

What advice do you have to students who are in the process of finding a job/going to graduate school? Trust yourself. It’s ok to be selfish during this process. There will be a lot of outside noise and third parties trying to tell/advise you what to do, but ultimately it is your decision. No one else is going to be in those classes or working those hours but YOU. Also be patient with yourself. Don’t run into anything without having thought it out extensively. Lastly be yourself. When applying to any graduate program or even in a job interview, be who YOU are. Stay true to yourself and your authentic personality will do the rest!

Want to share your next steps with the CCPD? Email Kevin (kdeeb@rwu.edu) in the CCPD to learn more about sharing with us!

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor