Hawks Hired! Amela MacDonald ’23

Hawks Hired highlights the accomplishments of RWU graduates as they finalize the next steps in their career journeys. Amela is currently a Histotechnologist at Maine General Medical Center. Read on to learn more about her next chapter since graduation.

What was your program of study at RWU? Forensic Science (Biology track), Criminal Justice/ psychology double minor

Graduation year? May 2023

Where is your next adventure? (Company/School and Role) Immediately following graduation, I began as a lab assistant, and then was promoted to the Histotechnologist position at Maine General Medical Center in Augusta Maine.

What are you most looking forward to in this new role? In my new role as a Histotechnologist, I am most excited to use the scientific background that I gained from RWU as well as expand my knowledge within the field of medical sciences.

What was the process like of landing this job/next opportunity? The process of landing this position included a lot of focus on creating a strong resume that adequately represented the hard work and accomplishments throughout my academic career. I knew I primarily wanted to work in a hospital setting, so I used the Maine Health organization page to search open positions in the hospitals in my area. I made sure to prepare for questions employers may want to ask and ensure I would be able to give confident and professional responses.

Who helped you during your job search/graduate school process? During my job search, I primarily used indeed to search for jobs. I also used the career center at RWU for assistance and revision to my resume and cover letter.

What advice do you have to students who are in the process of finding a job/going to graduate school? For students who are getting ready to graduate and embark into the workforce, my best advice would be to apply to a variety of jobs that interest you. Keep an open mind because what you think you’ll do after college, and the job you actually do may be very different! It’s hard to know all of the options that are out there until it comes time to search. With this said, start your search months before graduation. Personally, I applied for the position at Maine General Medical Center months before graduation. I was able to talk with the supervisors and plan a virtual interview for the first round, which I actually did via zoom in the RWU library! After that, we planned an in-person interview for the second round right after graduation. I was offered the position and began working all less than one month post graduation.

Want to share your next steps with the CCPD? Email Kevin (kdeeb@rwu.edu) in the CCPD to learn more about sharing with us!

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor