Hawks Hired! Luke Calabrese ’23

Hawks Hired highlights the accomplishments of RWU graduates as they finalize the next steps in their career journeys. Luke is currently a Project Engineer at RTK Collins Aerospace. Read on to learn more about his next chapter since graduation.

What was your program of study at RWU? B. S. in Engineering with a Specialization in Mechanical Engineering

Graduation year? 2023

Where is your next adventure? (Company/School and Role) RTX Collins Aerospace

What are you most looking forward to in this new role? I am most looking forward to pursuing my passion in the professional field and being able to learn, develop, and excel in the aerospace engineering industry.

What was the process like of landing this job/next opportunity? My experiences to receive a job offer in the mechanical engineering field included heavily researching available positions, finding positions that met my specific interests, establishing connections at various companies, refining application material, and studying for technical interviews. Despite these steps I received many rejections, which is normal, but continuing to repeat these steps allowed me to stand out to employers and eventually received an offer I was ready to accept.

Who helped you during your job search/graduate school process? I received help from the Engineering CCPD representative to prepare for interview questions, editing my resume/cover letter to stand out to hiring managers, and providing locations for me to hold my virtual interviews. Roger Williams’ Engineering faculty assisted me by reviewing presentations I prepared for interviews and answered technical questions I had ahead of meeting with hiring teams. Also establishing connections of RWU alumni or recruiters who are currently at companies I was interested in, and building a network, contributed to securing a job in the industry.

What advice do you have to students who are in the process of finding a job/going to graduate school? For students who are currently looking for their next opportunity, be patient. It is important to choose companies, schools, or positions that you are interested in and will give you opportunity to learn and grow as an engineer. Plan for where you want to be in 5-10 years and consider what steps will help you reach that milestone, then apply to as many positions as you feasibly can that fit your criterion and advocate for yourself. Also become comfortable talking about yourself and your accomplishments/projects, it is sometimes harder than it seems, but will make a large difference in an interview.

Want to share your next steps with the CCPD? Email Kevin (kdeeb@rwu.edu) in the CCPD to learn more about sharing with us!

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor