Internship Spotlight: Fletcher Tilton, PC

Senior, Amanda Andrade completed an internship with Fletcher Tilton, PC as a Legal Intern. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? I Interned at Fletcher Tilton, PC under Attorney Michael Lahti and Attorney Mia Lahti. Fletcher Tilton is a law firm based in Worcester, Massachusetts however I specifically worked in the satellite office located in Providence, Rhode Island. The area of the law that this firm and Attorney Lahti mainly practice is Estate Planning and Estate Administration.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? I was initially interested in this internship because the subject matter was one that I had never known about prior and I was hoping to learn more about it. The subject of Estate Planning had never been taught to me before and I was unaware of what was involved in this area of the law.

How did you find your internship? I stumbled upon this internship by scrolling through Handshake. At the time I was unsure which area of the law I was interested in as a career, and I was also unsure whether I wanted to pursue Law School. This internship was a chance for me to make big career decisions.

What did you do as part of your internship? As part of my internship, I began by working on more administrative tasks such as scanning and saving documents to our electronic client files, managing incoming and outgoing mail, and closing completed client files for storage. As time progressed I began to take on more complex tasks in assistance to the paralegals and Attorney Michael Lahti and Attorney Mia Lahti.

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? My internship has helped me work towards my future career goals immensely. I have been able to determine that I thoroughly enjoy this particular area of the law and hope to further my career to become a paralegal.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? My biggest takeaway from this internship is to always listen and pay attention to everyone around you, as I have learned valuable life lessons not only from the clients at Fletcher Tilton, but also from the fantastic staff that I have had the pleasure of working with.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? Advice I would give to someone interested in similar internship opportunities would be to take the chance on something new instead of something you know. There had been other internships available that were in areas of the law I already knew I could be interested in, but I decided to take a chance and apply to Fletcher Tilton as a Legal Intern in Estate Planning that was completely foreign to me and it was my best professional decision I have ever made.

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor