Internship Spotlight: Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center

Senior, Alexis Wozdusiewicz completed an internship with the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center as a Social Media Intern. Read on to learn about her experience!

If you’re interested in doing your own internship but don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Career Advisor by going to Handshake.

What was your internship? My position was Social Media Intern for the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center, a domestic violence clinic in Warwick, RI.

Why were you initially interested in this internship? Initially, I wanted to pursue a career as a family law attorney. I wanted to focus on domestic violence victims in particular. While I have changed my mind on practicing family law, I still hold a passion for advocating for victims of domestic violence. 

How did you find your internship? I found my internship through Handshake. The internship was posted and I was instructed to apply through email.

What did you do as part of your internship? My internship consisted of creating all of the social media content for the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center’s profiles and online pages. My main focus was on the Instagram account because we connected with our primary audience through both Instagram and Facebook. I thoroughly researched all of my information before creating the posts because I was handling such sensitive content with a specific audience in mind. I used Canva to work with my creativity on visually appealing posts. As purple is the color for Domestic Violence Awareness, I tried to keep an aesthetically pleasing purple theme amongst the social media.    

Has this internship helped you work towards your future career goals? If so, how? Yes! My internship helped me work towards my future career goals by gaining experience working remotely and providing me with an opportunity around advocacy. Advocacy for different victims is important for future attorneys as the legal system as a whole, is driven through advocating for all types of people.

What was your biggest lesson/takeaway from the internship? The most significant take away from the internship was the ability to connect with people over a screen. This was my first experience working with social media for an organization rather than my own personal use. I was able to learn how to work remotely and understand how to successfully manage our online presence while keeping our followers engaged!

What advice would you give to someone interested in a similar internship opportunity? Domestic violence is a very serious issue and ensuring that appropriate information is being posted should be the number one priority. Make sure to do research first! I would advise someone interested in a similar position to also explore content creating platforms such as Canva, and become familiar with them. I would also encourage more screen time to understand the newest trends and think about how to incorporate them into the organization’s feed.

By Kevin Deeb
Kevin Deeb Career Advisor